Wednesday, February 11, 2009

ICE SCREAM!

Hello, From this point in time, I will be posting stories behind some of my images, and about the choices I made along the way to getting here! In most cases... I found myself at the right time and place... sometimes I was ahead of my time, and sometime a little late, but in all cases... without regret. I admit... I have succeeded at failure, too.

This month, the Chicago Art Institute is featuring paintings by Edvard Munch... the artist best known for his painting of "SCREAM". A few summer's ago, I was walking down Division Street, near Oak Street Beach on a hot day when I noticed a melting ice cream bar... and took this picture.

ICE SCREAM (c) Jerry Pritikin

It reminded me of Edvard Munch's painting. As I was posting this... it also reminded me about the following story...

Back in the 1980's, I was a freelance photographer and publicist. As a publicist, I tried finding clients that had a service or product... that I would enjoy publicizing. Among them, David Kulman, aka "David the Match-maker" who was a gay matchmaker. He was a real life, New York Jewish "Yenta"! In those days... he worked from 5" x 7" index cards (before computers) and the first openly gay service that advertised in the Yellow Pages, and both S.F. daily papers. I was able to get him in a few Herb Caen's columns, and was the first gay service offered on the KQED-PBS TV station's fund raising auction in the bay area. I placed him on one of the first gay stories "OUT" of San Francisco on CNN, in their first year of operation. I also placed him on the Donahue segment of the ToDay Show. I handled the PR for several gay bars, and the publicity for the San Francisco stage production of the play "Bleacher Bums", that was supposed to be a 6 week run, that ran for over a year and earned me the moniker as the "Bay Area's Resident Cubs Fan". This was years before I evolved into "The Bleacher Preacher".

Like I said... I was always searching for new and unusual clients... and in 1986,
I attended the San Francisco Food Show with that in mind, as well as tasting the treats, too. There were over a hundred exhibits, some with well know names and products... and those new companies exhibiting for the first time... and among those I found a few possibilities. There were a couple guys from Vermont, who were looking for distributors for their ice cream company, and a local lady with a great tasting Kosher Pickle, called "Bubbies of San Francisco"! (Pickles and Ice cream and I wasn't even pregnant) Since I knew nothing about cows and Vermont... I went on to sign "Bubbies" as my client.
I had a lot of fun publicizing her product... and created a new tag line "A LEGEND IN ITS OWN BRINE!" When the Cubs came to town... I sent a jar up to Harry Caray... and he fell in love with them over an open microphone. However, within a short time... she ran out of money and went belly up. And those other guys went on to become BEN & JERRY'S ... the famous Ice Cream makers.

Years later, I discovered Bubbies Kosher Pickles of San Francisco were back in business, and I handled some of their "PR" in Chicago, and they sponsored a few of my gay softball teams in the Chicago Metropolitan Sports Association's Senior Cup.

As I was posting this... I received the following email about Ben & Jerry's latest
flavors... I do not know who created the list... or I would give them credit... and hope they don't mind that I'm posted it on my blog-site.


Ben & Jerry created "Yes Pecan!" ice cream flavor for Obama.

Here are the latest flavors in honor of the former President.

For George W. they created "_________".

- Grape Depression

- Abu Grape

- Cluster Fudge

- Nut'n Accomplished

- Iraqi Road

- Chock 'n Awe

- WireTapioca

- Impeach Cobbler

- Guantanmallow

- imPeachmint

- Good Riddance You Lousy Motherfucker... Swirl

- Heck-of-a-Job Brownie!

- Neocon Politan

- The Reese's-cession

- Cookie D'oh!

- The Housing Crunch

- Nougalar Proliferation

- Death by Chocolate... and Torture

- Credit Crunch

- Country Pumpkin

- Chunky Monkey in Chief

- George Bush Doesn't Care About Dark Chocolate

- WMDee-licious

- Chocolate Chimp

- Bloody Sundae

- Caramel Preemptive Stripe



Jerry 2/11/09

No comments:

.
ALL of the © JERRY PRITIKIN images on this blog
cannot be reproduced, re-posted elsewhere or published without PRIOR WRITTEN PERMISSION