Monday, February 9, 2009

DATELINE CHICAGO:

For over 30 years, I have earned my stripes as a one man army, fighting for gay and human rights.

Last November, when Focus Film released their movie "Milk", (now up for 8 Academy Awards) the movie has since introduced Harvey Milk, and that era in gay rights history to Millions and millions of people, of all ages, gay and straight here in America, and around the world.

Back in the 1970's, I was a San Francisco freelance photographer, publicist and creator of some timely T-shirts... and outed myself nationally in 1977, when it was not yet fashionable to be openly gay... even in San Francisco!

On this blog, you will find images and stories about events I covered as a photographer, including some depicted in the "MILK" movie. I am proud of my footnotes in gay history... and sometimes... I even made some history myself. My Iconic image of Harvey Milk , on 6/7/77 ... helped changed gay history, and introduced Harvey, nationally via the Associated Press Wire photos out of San Francisco. It was in response to an Anita Bryant's led victory to overturn a gay rights ordinance in Dade County Florida. Years after Harvey was assassinated, Randy Shilts asked to use my image in his book "THE MAYOR OF CASTRO STREET", and I recommended calling a chapter "Orange Tuesday", that he did. Since then, that image has been seen in many books, documentaries and exhibits. The following frame has never been published... and was to be the Poster for an exhibit starting this month at a Chicago gay Library... because of many delays, and artistic differences with their volunteer board-president... I cancelled the exhibit... that was to be called "When Then Was... NOW!" The same name I have chosen for this blog...and in the days and months to come, I will be showing images and memorabilia that were scheduled to be part of the cancelled exhibit...

Cheers,
Jerry Pritikin / Chicago


















HARVEY MILK / ORANGE TUESDAY 6/7/77 SAN FRANCISCO (c) Jerry Pritikin / Chicago

No comments:

.
ALL of the © JERRY PRITIKIN images on this blog
cannot be reproduced, re-posted elsewhere or published without PRIOR WRITTEN PERMISSION